Host ID: 111
Knightwise.com is a website with hacks tips and tweaks for cross platform geeks. The home of the Knightwise.com cross platform podcast that makes technology work for you and not the other way around. A place to go for all geeks who slide between Mac, iOS, Android, Linux and Windows offering an essential mix of hacks, tips, howtos and tweaks spiced up with a dash of geek culture.
What is our philosophy? In our daily lives, on the internet, whether we want it or not, hundreds of new inventions, thousands of websites and millions of bits of information engulf us as the tsunami of progress sweeps along the shores of time. You have the choice: Be washed away on by the virtual surf or turn technology into a tool that works for you.
Here at Knightwise.com we think that YOU are the most important element in the technology that surrounds you. Technology should enable you and not lock you in to some vendor or product. That is why we focus on cross platform solutions that work on any operating system or mobile device you might be using, making YOU and what you want to DO the focus of our content. We dont believe in fanboys, we dont believe in vendor lock-ins and we dont believe in brands. We cater to the geeks who slide from operating system to operating system, free their data and communications and let technology work for them instead of the other way around.
- Listening to podcasts
- Good Podcatchers http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/555-best-podcast-apps.html
- Listening to audiobooks with Mortplayer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.folderplayer&hl=en
- Free online courses
- Kahn academy https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Itunes U https://itunes.apple.com/be/app/itunes-u/id490217893?mt=8
- tts with Pocket https://getpocket.com/
- TTS on the mac http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/28/how-to-make-your-mac-talk-text-to-speech/
- TTS on Linux https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uKTamXonPs
The knightwise.com podcast : http://feeds.feedburner.com/feedburner/knightcast
Knightwise talks about how he got into Linux.
From the early beginnings where I dabbled in Suse to the present day where I run my company on Linux, I tell you the story of how I got into Linux .. And how my wife’s 80 year old grandma got me into Linux permanently.
Knightwise talks about how he uses his Raspberry Pi to get things done, and keep his connection to the Internet secure and private when he's away from home. He also discusses a number of command line tools that he uses on the Pi which help to keep the workflow simple and clutter-free.
In this episode Knightwise talks about the cross-platform tools he uses for his day job as a freelance IT consultant. All three of the major OS platforms (Linux, OS X and Windows) have their strengths, so by leveraging systems from across all ecosystems Knightwise can use what he feels is the best tool for any individual task.
Use the tool that's right for you without letting the fanboys or the zealots get in your way.
Inspired by a recent meeting with Ken Fallon at Fossdem, Knightwise presents 15 excuses not to record for Hacker Public Radio.
- I don't have the right Gear
- It doesn't sound so polished
- I don't know how to upload
- I don't have a radio voice
- I don't have the time
- I'm shy
- I don't have anything to say
- The stuff I know about is realy niche and noone will be interested
- What if I get negative comments
- Who would listen to my show anyway
- I've never done this before
- I'll get around to it someday
- I recorded a show but I'm too afraid to submit it
- It takes me a long time to edit out the "um" and "er"
- I don't know enough about audio editing yet
Knightwise gives some budget saving tips on why you don't always need to get new gear.
Podcasting from the car Knightwise shows us his favorite command line applications and how he connects to them from anywhere.
- SSH server on Ubuntu. : Sudo apt-get install open-ssh-server
- Irssi : Sudo apt-get install irssi
- Centertim : sudo apt-get install centerim
- Alpine : sudo apt-get install alpine
- Connectbot https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.connectbot&hl=en
- botsync https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.botsync&hl=en
- Putty : http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
- Secure Shell : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/secure-shell/pnhechapfaindjhompbnflcldabbghjo?hl=en
- Knightwise.com : http://www.knightwise.com
Podcasting from the car Knightwise shows us what his morning routine looks like and how he uses technology during his daily 3 hour commute. With some clever tips on using audio and voice technology to stay in touch with tech, stay sane and more importantly, stay safe.
Shownotes My Mobile Life.
- Cnet Today http://www.cnet.com/
- Hak5 http://hak5.org/
- Ted Talks (Tedd App) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ted.android&hl=en
- feed.li http://feedly.com
- Aldiko https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aldiko.android&hl=en
- Pocket https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ideashower.readitlater.pro&hl=en
- Voxxer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rebelvox.voxer&hl=en
- Doggcatcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snoggdoggler.android.applications.doggcatcher.v1_0&hl=en
- podiobooks www.podiobooks.com
In this episode of HPR Knightwise reviews the Huawei Mate Smartphone and answers the quesion if a 6.1 inch device is tablet a phone or both. We peek back into the late 80's and ask ourselves : What constitutes a phone and is the Huawei Mate something for you ?
The original article : http://knightwise.com/reviewing-the-huawei-ascend-mate/
Knightwise reports in after attending Samsungs 2013 premiere event in Kings Court london last thursday, where the company presented its upcoming line of smartphone camera and computer products. He takes a look on what was new and noticable and how the Hulk is probably doing most of Samsungs innovations these days.
Just how many devices do you still have lying around that have been discarded by the pace of progress. What if you would use them today ? Knightwise takes you with him on a garage sale bargain hunt and asks the question : Is it out of style or retro chique.
"When you need to get things done : Use a Mac" That used to be the default answer. But does it still ring true today ? Knightwise takes a look at the history of Apple and its evolution in the power-user landscape over the last decenium.
Today it's The Knightcast KC0060 : "Storytime"
Sit back and enjoy another "storytime' edition of the Knightwise.com podcast where we question our sanity in using Email and wonder whether the IT guy will go extinct. On a bed of some soothing music it's time so close your eyes and listen.
Welcome to syndicated Thursday on Hacker Public Radio
Each Thursday we play Syndicated creative commons content from around the web. If you know of some creative commons material that you would like to bring to the attention of the community then send an email to admin. Today we are featuring the http://www.knightwise.com/knightcast-podcast/889-the-knightcast-kc0057-cross-platform-streaming
The knightcast is an on - line radio show (or POD-cast) that can be downloaded for free via itunes or any other podcast-client. You can also listen on the website.for YOU and not the other way around. We talk about technology , tips andIt deals with the every day adventures of a modern day cyber-citizen. In the Knightcast we talk about life and technology.. and most importantly how to use that technology to your fullest advantage. Integrating high tech into your life in such a way that technology WORKS tricks .. and how to use it. For example : How to turn your USB-stick into a mobile office .. How to use your laptop to get on line everywhere... How to use the internet to your fullest advantage and so on.
Cross Platform Streaming
This week we deep dive into the art of streaming all of your media across your home network using multiple operating systems. We take a look at DLNA servers and clients, Amahi Linux configurations and Virtual Lion servers to stream and sync all of our content to all of our devices , no matter what OS they are on.
The link to the show is http://knightwise.com/the-knightcast-kc0056-best-of-kwtv-live/
In this weeks extra long podcast we bring you the excerpts from Septembers KWTV Live episode. Three interesting guests talk in depth about 3 interesting topics that is sure to interest anyone who runs ANY operating system. Larry Buschey from the Going Linux podcast talks about what is wrong with Linux, Bart Busschots comes to talk to us about OSX Lion and the future of the Apple operating system and Keith Murray brings us his views on the newest Windows 8 Developer preview. We ask skeptical questions and ponder on the future of the computer os in light of the Tablet revolution. All of that and more on this weeks Knightcast.
In todays syndicated Thursday origionally aired on Friday, 09 September 2011, we have The Knightcast KC0054 : Setting up Amahi.
This week we do a deep-geek-dive into setting up Amahi , A powerful server for the home with the ease of use of a smartphone. Web based interfaces, Point-and-click addition of applications, tons of Geeky functionality : Its all there in Amahi. With a spot of music from Planet Boelex and a recording made 'on the road' its another "Knightcast".
This show was aired on "Saturday, 07 May 2011 06:23"
The Knightcast KC0053 : Wirelessly syncing content to your Ipad and Ipod.
In this deep-geeky episode we unlock the secret of automatic podcast downloading and distribution to android and IOS Devices without using itunes or a cable. We mash together Ubuntu, Gpodder, a bash script a couple of SSH Connections and an Ipad app to unlock the secrets of wirelessly pushing content to your IOS Devices. As a bonus we take a glance at calibre and show you how to have your favorite rss feeds available to read offline.
Knightwise talks about linux in the workplace
Knightwise talks about using ssh connections for terminal applications, filesharing and ssh tunneling.