Host ID: 318
I got started in Linux in 2002, with a set of Mandriva CD's and have enjoyed using variations ever since. Current with Arch Linux for 3+ years.
- Had a tower with a bad motherboard.
- Wife found one at the Savers (Goodwill) for $8
- Board worked, but had no video
- Bought a 8mb video card for $10
- Power supply fan seized, $10,
- Got a warning about danger of opening up a power supply.
- Distro should be on a USB key, and run headless
- Easy way to back up the system
- Had Arch installed, no 32 bit support after end of 2017
- Installed Slackware, only working distribution for my hardware
- Found it useful to have a script to chroot from the install media to the Slackware install.
- Added a boot delay to mkinitrc for usb, otherwise it would boot with a message about not finding
- Set up ssh with alternative port
- Installed mplayer and tmux, and ripit with sbopkg
- Mplayer to rip streams for movies and shows
- Tmux is my favorite for resuming from a different PC or mobile
- Needed a way to rip any media regardless of encryption
- Only need libdvdcss to read
- Includes Disney (Star Wars, Tron)
- CD ripping was a bonus
- Ripit to rip CDs
- Scripts are on Github
- Happy ripping!
Google Takeout, good for backup of gmail, or anything else from the Google-verse.
Thunderbird email client
ImportExportTools for Thunderbird