hpr1199 :: Old Time Radio on the web
Frank Bell talks about Old Time Radio (OTR), his history as a radio listener, and his Old Time Radio websites.
The OTR Fans site defines OTR as "Old time radio often called "OTR" refers to radio shows from the early days of radio broadcasting. The term usually applies to dramas, comedies, mystery shows, westerns and variety shows that were acted out by professional actors and sent out over the airwaves. In the golden age of radio families would sit around their radio listening to the exciting shows the way we sit around our television sets watching them today."
OTR copyright information: http://www.radiolovers.com/copyrights.html
Old Time Radio streaming and download sites mentioned in the show:
- OTR.Network Library: http://www.otr.net/
- Old Time Radio Fans: http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/
- My Old Radio World: http://www.oldradioworld.com/
- CBS Radio Mystery Theatre Fan Site: http://www.cbsrmt.com/
- Old Time Radio Theatre (was OTR Mystery Theatre: http://www.mysteryshows.com/
- OTR at the Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradiofans
- My Old Radio World: http://www.myoldradio.com/
- Radio Lovers: http://www.radiolovers.com/
Streamable shows mentioned in the podcast. Note that many of the OTR shows and episodes can be found at multiple sites and that some sites may have a larger number than and different episodes from other sites. I have restricted these links to ones I know will be playable in Linux (in other words, no links to real media format).
- Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby: http://archive.org/details/OTRR_BCRC_Singles
- Barry Craig, Confidential Investigator: http://www.oldradioworld.com/shows/Barry_Craig_Confidential_Investigator.php
- The Man Called X: http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/template.php?show_name=Man%20Called%20X
- Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons: http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-shows/mr-keen-tracer-of-lost-persons
- Crime Photographer: http://www.mysteryshows.com/Casey-Crime-Photographer/index.php
- Mystery Is My Hobby: http://www.mysteryshows.com/Mystery-Is-My-Hobby/index.php
- The Fat Man: http://archive.org/details/otr_fatman
- The Saint: http://archive.org/details/TheSaintVincentPriceOTR
- Rex Saunders: http://archive.org/details/ThePrivateFilesOfRexSaunders
Radio personalities mentioned in the show:
- Arthur Godfrey: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Godfrey
- Garry Moore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Moore
- : http://bayarearadio.org/people/harv-morgan_kgo.shtml
- Jean Shepard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Shepherd
- E. G. Marshall: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0550855/
- Tammy Grimes: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0342245/
- ogg: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1199.ogg
- spx: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1199.spx
- mp3: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1199.mp3
Yeah, I know, commenting on my own stuff etc.
VLC and its plugin for Firefox (along with DownloadHelper especially for when I want to DL and speed media up to take more in like I see oldradioworld lets me) works good for me on most *nix flavors for almost any .format
Question...I have been using the myoldradio.com site for years with no problem. A few days ago I started getting red security alerts from my anti virus programs. They say there is a serious malware threat. Have you heard anything about this? I really miss that site as they have a huge "information please" collection...one of my favorites. I welcome any info you can provide.