Last Month's Shows
Comments this month
These are comments which have been made during the past month, either to shows released during the month or to past shows. There are 20 comments in total.
There are 4 comments on 3 previous shows:
(2023-06-12) "Recording An Episode For Hacker Public Radio"
- Comment 1: Reto on 2023-07-01: "Good information about recording"
(2023-06-21) "Emergency Show: How to demonstrate the power of condensing steam"
by Mike Ray.
- Comment 1: dnt on 2023-07-15: "Clap!"
(2023-06-29) "comm - compare two sorted files line by line"
by Ken Fallon.
- Comment 1: Reto on 2023-07-08: "KDirStat is dead, long live QDirStat!"
- Comment 2: Ken Fallon on 2023-07-12: "QDirstat is nice but I meant kdiff3"
This month's shows
There are 16 comments on 11 of this month's shows:
- hpr3891 (2023-07-03) "HPR Community News for June 2023" by HPR Volunteers.
- Comment 1: norrist on 2023-07-03: "solocast updates"
- Comment 2: Kevin O'Brien on 2023-07-04: "My truck"
- hpr3892 (2023-07-04) "Emacs package curation, part 1" by dnt.
- hpr3894 (2023-07-06) "The Page 42 Show: Ugly News Week, Show's Epoch!" by HopperMCS.
- Comment 1: Kevin O'Brien on 2023-07-08: "I loved the show"
- hpr3896 (2023-07-10) "The Brochs of Glenelg" by Andrew Conway.
- Comment 1: dnt on 2023-07-29: "Ruins"
- hpr3900 (2023-07-14) "Preparing Podcasts for Listening" by Ahuka.
- Comment 1: Hipstre on 2023-07-14: "Limiter/GPodder"
- Comment 2: Eugene on 2023-07-16: "No need for podcast preprocessing"
- Comment 3: Kevin O'Brien on 2023-07-17: "Sansa Clip+"
- hpr3901 (2023-07-17) "Time Managment" by operat0r.
- Comment 1: Reto on 2023-07-18: "aCalendar on Android"
- hpr3902 (2023-07-18) "Introduction to a new series on FFMPEG" by Mr. Young.
- Comment 1: dnt on 2023-07-29: "ffmpeg"
- hpr3903 (2023-07-19) "Why I don't love systemd (yet)" by deepgeek.
- Comment 1: dnt on 2023-07-29: "systemd"
- hpr3904 (2023-07-20) "How to make friends" by Klaatu.
- hpr3909 (2023-07-27) "Permission tickets. " by one_of_spoons.
- Comment 1: dnt on 2023-07-29: "Great show, keep em coming!"
- hpr3910 (2023-07-28) "Playing Civilization II" by Ahuka.
- Comment 1: dnt on 2023-07-29: "Game mechanics"
Mailing List discussions
Policy decisions surrounding HPR are taken by the community as a whole. This discussion takes place on the Mail List which is open to all HPR listeners and contributors. The discussions are open and available on the HPR server under Mailman.
The threaded discussions this month can be found here:https://lists.hackerpublicradio.com/pipermail/hpr/2023-July/thread.html
With the kind permission of LWN.net we are linking to The LWN.net Community Calendar.
Quoting the site:
This is the LWN.net community event calendar, where we track events of interest to people using and developing Linux and free software. Clicking on individual events will take you to the appropriate web page.
Any other business
The HPR Static Site
As mentioned in the last Community News episode, the HPR database and
website was moved to a new server, and the static site generator written
Rho`n was used to generated the non-interactive part of
Since then, there has been a process of adapting the software to the
new configuration. Unfortunately
Rho`n has not been
available during this process, but we are gradually learning our way
around his excellent software and making changes to suit our needs.
If you spot any problems or have ideas for new features, please raise issues on the Gitea repository at: https://repo.anhonesthost.net/rho_n/hpr_generator/issues.
A policy change is required in the use of the reserve queue. When there are unfilled slots between 5 and 7 days in the future, episodes in this queue will be used to fill them.
This extra time is required because of the time it can take to process a show and load it to the Internet Archive.
Bram Moolenaar, author of Vim dies
There was an announcement from Bram's family today (2023-08-05) that he died on August 3rd 2023 from a medical problem that worsened recently.